The Paul McCartney Project

Announcing The Paul McCartney Project

Jun 07, 2010

When you become fan of an artist, you want everything: the official albums are soon not enough, and you start looking for rarities, alternate takes, live versions… When it comes to Paul McCartney and a career that spans over fifty years of recording music, this can become the work of a life.

Some have already tried. I’m thinking about Chip Madinger and Mark Easter who wrote the amazing book “Eight Arms To Hold You – the Solo Beatles Compendium“, that comes with the following tagline:

Over thirty years in the making… over twenty years of research… over two years of writing

Unfortunately, the book, published in 2000, doesn’t cover the last decade.

There is also some wonderful ressources on the web, on dedicated sites (i.e: the MaccaBlog and BootlegZone forums) or on personal pages. But, all this collective knowledge doesn’t take benefits of the latest in technology: the information is scattered in various places, and is therefore difficult to discover or browse.

The goal of The Paul McCartney Project is to build the most comprehensive database of music written or recorded by Paul McCartney and bring this database on the web in a way that makes all this information easy to access. I would like this project to be a collective one, building a community where each member would enhance the database with his/her specific knowledge or feelings about each album / track.

This is of course highly ambitious, and the version 1 of this project I’m presenting to you at this point is very light. The database is currently filled with most of the official solo albums of McCartney and a few unofficial recordings. My ambition in the coming weeks and months is to improve the structure of the site before filling up more information. Set the basics right 🙂

For now, you can:

As a fan of McCartney, I hope you will like this project and contribute to it in one way or another 🙂 Please don’t hesitate to leave comments to tell me what you think about the idea and how you would like it to go forward.

Last updated on June 20, 2010

Spread the love! If you like what you are seeing, share it on social networks and let others know about The Paul McCartney Project.

Contribute!

Have you spotted an error on the page? Do you want to suggest new content? Or do you simply want to leave a comment ? Please use the form below!

Your comment

Jo 8 years ago

Where the hell is Brian Ray in the list with artists??????

admin 8 years ago

Hey Jo, as you may have guessed, the database is still very light ; and I miss many songs, artists, albums... Consider this is a work in progress that will only get better over time :)

terry gundill 8 years ago

not able to sign up - am I missing something.
Would like to help with your quest.

admin 8 years ago

Hi Terry,
Thank you for your message, and for letting me know that the Sign Up form is not working anymore :( Will need to spend some time on it pretty soon :(
For now, there aren't many tools to let you edit content yourself, but I'm working on them... Let me know how you want to help!
Cheers,
Nicolas

terry 8 years ago

No hurry - can wait.
Lifelong beatles and McCartney fan.
Seen McCartney on every uk tour since 1972.
Already have lists of bootlegs, demos, outakes etc.
You are probably aware of other sites:
amongst many others that have many lists and other info.

admin 8 years ago

Thanks for those links - I didn't know the first ones.
I also have the "Eight arms to hold you" book that is properly amazing! Now I need to make sense of all those informations to build a compelling site :)
Cheers!

Ray 3 years ago

The proper way to credit the name is Lennon McCartney, not the other way around. So this project is a fraud.

admin 3 years ago

That's a fair comment, Ray. Something I have to change (this site & project remains a work in progress), even if McCartney has some late concerns about this credit trademark:

However, in some instances, McCartney regretted that the alternating songwriting credit didn't occur, especially on "Yesterday," a Help! song "which John actually had nothing to do with, none of the other Beatles had anything to do with – I wrote it on my own, sang it on my own, they're not on the record, nobody is even involved with it, and they didn't mind that and I didn't mind, nobody minded, but that's very much mine," McCartney said. "The original artwork had 'Yesterday' by John Lennon and Paul McCartney and a photo of John above it. And I went, 'Argh, Come on, lads.' Anyway they wouldn't do it," he added regarding the "McCartney/Lennon" credit.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/paul-mccartney-talks-nixed-mccartney-lennon-songwriting-credit-20150705#ixzz3kqRaTxbs

Stewart MacDonald 2 years ago

Just come across this site, well done - it's a hell of a task you have taken on. On the Lennon/McCartney issue, I think you have to go with whatever the current official line is, even though we all know it annoys Paul. If we start jiggling the order around, somebody is going to say we're wrong and you have developed a good looking and informative site which needs to be credible. We know Paul is a genius, although sometimes I think that he doesn't believe it himself and constantly needs reassurance. Let it be, Paul. You have nothing to prove, and the order in which the credits appear will not change a thing.

admin 2 years ago

Thank you for the nice & wise comment, Stewart. I have indeed made the change to follow the official line.

Anthony 2 years ago

Love this site--amazing resource! Just a bug I've noticed; when trying to sort songs with the filters, if I click to go onto the next page, it goes to page 2 of the full list, so I can only view the first 50 results with the filters. Would be a huge help if this could be fixed! Thanks.

admin 2 years ago

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for noticing - the bug is now fixed !
Cheers
Nicolas

Ramon Dorenbos 2 years ago

Compliments Nicolas for your website. Nice!

Greetings,

team Maccazine

www.mccartneymaccazine.com

admin 2 years ago

Many thanks for the kind message, Ramon !

Steve Barnes 2 years ago

Hi.

Great work. Would you be interested in photos I took of the June 14, 1976 Wings concert in SF?

Here is an example... https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi7ryjxr5z4due6/PICT0016.jpg?dl=0

Steve

admin 2 years ago

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your proposal. Yes, I would be grateful ! Pls tell me how to credit you !

All the best,
Nicolas

Alex 2 years ago

If this is a project dedicated to McCartney, why does it list songs written exclusively by John Lennon (say, Across the Universe) and George Harrison (All Things Must Pass)? Surely even McCartney, who's not adverse to shrewdly dropping hints as to his influence in the composition of songs known to be completely independently written by other members of the band, cannot claim to have written the entire Beatles catalogue. There were four Beatles, not one.

The PaulMcCartney Project 2 years ago

Hi Alex,
Thanks for your message.
The project is about the musical contributions of Paul McCartney, not solely the songs he has written. For instance, McCartney played "All Things Must Pass" live during his 2004 tour, as a tribute to George. To the same spirit, "Across the Universe" is a Lennon song on which McCartney plays acoustic guitar and contributes some vocals.
Where the line may be crossed is on "She Said She Said", written by Lennon and on which McCartney doesn't play at all - we made sure that it is mentioned as such in the song details.
I hope it clarifies the intent of the project ; in any case, there isn't any temptation to rewrite history with a MCartney bias ; no need to :)
All the best

Chris Palladino 11 months ago

Great job with the project. I too have spent many years and a small fortune tracking down this material. The guest appearances do not get enough notice!

The PaulMcCartney Project 11 months ago

Thanks Chris for the kind comment - I confirm such works represent a lot of time, and a lot of money, but also a lot of passion !!! Good idea regarding the guest appearances not being visible enough. Generally speaking, the website lacks some entry points ; as it stands now, you get too deep in the details too soon, and you lose yourself. In the todo list along with a lot of other things to do!!

Michael 9 months ago

Can't begin to say how much this site has helped me in adding to my McCartney collection and knowledge. The best site I have found, though there are other good ones out there. As Paul continues to get older (as we all do) and the amount of work and appearances slow down I am sure it will be less interesting for you to keep everything updated. Or perhaps you will just have more time to improve it all. Anyway keep up the good work. Much appreciated.

The PaulMcCartney Project 9 months ago

Thanks Michael for the kind words ! There is so much to be added to this site ! While I'm not actively on it at the moment, I'm pretty sure this can keep me occupied till my old days !! There are two main areas that interest me in this project : gathering as much data about the music from Sir Paul, but also finding new ways to organize those data. So much to do!

gaston horischnik 5 months ago

Hi! What's going on with this project? Is it still alive?
Any way, thaks a lot!

The PaulMcCartney Project 5 months ago

Hi Gaston,
this project is still alive - even if the pace of updates has slightly decreased this year, compared to 2017.
Among the latest additions though are what we know so far about the new album Egypt Station - https://www.the-paulmccartney-project.com/album/egypt-station/ - and revisiting the Flaming Pie pages - see https://www.the-paulmccartney-project.com/latest-updates/ for the latest updates.
Thanks for the kind words.